Structures by State
Structures by Type
Structures by Architectural Style
Built for Frank B. Kellogg, while he was an attorney with Davis, Kellogg & Severance; later served as U.S. senator, Secretary of State under Calvin Coolidge. Kellogg negotiated the Kellogg-Briand Pact of 1928, agreement signed by 62 nations to renounce war as an instrument of national policy, bring him the Nobel Peace Prize in 1929. Kellogg died in the house in 1937.
President Calvin Coolidge visited here in 1923. Trained as a lawyer, Kellogg became a leading figure in Minnesota Republican politics. In 1916 he became Minnesota's first popularly elected U.S. Senator.More...
The George Schleier Mansion, currently being restored, is significant in three areas. First the mansion is architecturally significant. The house, built in the 1880's by a prominent Denver architect, E. F. Edbrooke, is constructed of Colorado sandstone and was the most impressive of the homes designed by Edbrooke. The mansion, built on a prominent location for the 1880's, overlooks downtown Denver. In adding the onion tower to the Queen Anne design of the house, Edbrooke achieved a feeling of gravity. The house reflects no readily identifiable architectural theme, which is common among Denver homes of the 1880's. Structures constructed during the Colorado mining years have taken on the term eclectic architecture, meaning of no specific design.
Nonetheless, the house is unique in several respects. The Schleier Mansion offers numerous examples of elaborate plaster composition ornaments and Lincrusta-Walton, fashionable for that period. And, possibly the most outstanding feature of the house, is its German styling. Little is known of Schleier's childhood, but at age six, his family emigrated from his birthplace in Baden, Germany, to the United States. Schleier's heritage remained an integral part of his life, and the massive Germanic styles of the house reflect this. The closed string staircase with paneled base reflects Schleier's heritage. The stairway has carvings of gargoyles and Bavarian swans, which symbolized good luck to the Germans. The baluster has extremely detailed hand carvings. The plynth block on the woodwork, half-way up from the baseboards, is also common to German styling. Possibly more than any other building in Denver, the Schleier Mansion can be said to be truly of German design.More...
The Allen/Aslesen Building was constructed by builder, George J. Grant at a cost of $33,000 as a warehouse for the James P. Allen Wholesale Drug Company in 1888. Although the architect of the building is unknown, the attenuated clustered semi-circular brick bands are similar to those found on the St. Paul Building (originally the Germania Bank Building) which was designed by J. Waiter Stevens with Harvey Ellis. By 1922, the James P. Allen Building was occupied by the Young Mercantile Company. The structure also housed the Joestling and Schilling Hotel Supply Company for a number of years. Recently, the Butwinick's Outlet Store has been located in the Allen/Aslesen Building.
This five story, six bay, red pressed brick Victorian structure is one of the most ornate and sophisticated buildings in Lowertown. It features ornate rounded vertical bands of brickwork between the windows, rounded arched windows on the fifth story topped by triangulated brick, and a tall cast iron storefront with egg and dart molding in its cornice. The storefront has been partially obscured by signage and alterations. As with the adjacent Bishop Block, the cornice of this structure has been removed.More...